Tuesday, June 7, 2011

seeing the finish line

with just 8 weeks to go... oh my gosh, did I say that, 8 WEEKS?!... I feel like we're seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Usually 8 weeks feels like plenty of time, but when you're expecting your first baby, it feels like it's no time at all. I recently had the realization that I am somebody's mom... who decided that was a good idea? In a few short weeks, a sweet little boy will be calling me "momma"... well, I guess that will take a few months, but he'll recognize me as his mom, right? :) 

I read an article the other about soothing your newborn and that's when it hit me... I've never soothed a newborn. I always pass fussy babies off to their mommies. Now when I hold a fussy baby I'll be the one responsible for soothing him. Someone will walk across a crowed room and hand me the fussy baby and expect me to know what to do with it! 

I realized the other day that I can't remember the last time I received a Southern Living or Better Homes and Gardens. How on earth did I let that happen? I never let those subscriptions expires. I had to laugh when I looked through my stack of magazines in the rack in the bathroom this morning...

That's why the usuals have disappeared and I haven't noticed. My mind has been filled with articles about breastfeeding, buying the perfect stroller, decorating your nursery, etc. My bedside reading looks pretty similar.

I do try to sneak in a few pages of The Hole in our Gospel"by Rich Stearns from time to time.

I can't believe the timing is coming when we'll hold this little guy in my arms. We had the realization that if he comes early we could have a baby next month. What?! Even on days (like today!) when even my flip flops don't fit, zantac doesn't touch the heartburn and it hurts to breathe become someone has a foot lodged in my lower rib, I can't help but be excited and feel oh so blessed. Just 8 weeks, little man! Fatten up those cheeks and get them ready to be pinched and kissed by dozens of adoring fans. 

We have the privilege of spending the next few days with the greatest friends God ever made and their two precious kiddos, being spoiled with two baby showers and getting the final 3D ultrasound at the doctor. Check back for pictures of our adventures and our little man!

1 comment:

jennyb said...

I was so glad to get to spend some time with you at your shower on Wednesday! And I am so incredibly grateful for your presence in my life. You are a glowing Momma who will figure it all out when the time is right. I'm so very, very excited for you and your little miracle! :)