Tuesday, July 31, 2012

7: Part 1

If you have never taken the time to read anything by Jen Hatmaker. Stop now and go! She doesn't know this yet, but we're totally BFFs. Hilarious, convicting and real, I love just about every word that comes out of her mouth! Linz got me to read 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess. I'm halfway through and find myself reading pages out loud to Tevie because they're just so good. 

So, we have decided to embark on her little experiment to rid our lives of excess. Month #1 is food. I think we would all agree that Americans in general have/eat an excess amount of food. I think this month is to help bring into focus just how blessed we are in the choices we have. So for the month of August we will eat seven things:
Chicken
Rice
Peanut Butter
Apples
Green Beans
Potatoes
Avocados
You will note that coffee is not one of my seven foods...
I'm not sure how to deal with that just yet. In fact, I can feel tears welling up in my eyes as I consider that idea. This experiment begins on Wednesday, so like any rational caffeine addict I have started weaning myself from coffee...

Ha! Nope. No weaning. I figure why deprive myself before I have to, you know? So, Wednesday I will go cold turkey from my hot, half-and-half lightened, agave-sweetened, Starbucks-enabled, 2+ cup-a-day habit. I figure that's a smart approach. Then, as Jen says, I can blame any mood swings or irrational behavior on my condition


Stay tuned for more and go buy yourself a copy of 7.

No comments: